SPJ holiday party/raffle Dec. 18; raise money for Mulhern Scholarship
MADISON — Two tickets to the see the Green Bay Packers play the Detroit Lions on Sunday, Dec. 28. A $100 gift certificate to Food Fight Restaurant Group. Two tickets to the Isthmus Beer and Cheese Fest on Saturday, Jan. 17.
Those are among the items you can win at the annual Holiday Mixer and Raffle hosted by the Madison pro chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists in conjunction with the Capitol press corps. All proceeds from the event will be donated to the Tom Mulhern Scholarship for Sports Journalism at UW-Madison. The first scholarship will be awarded in April.
The mixer and raffle will be held on Thursday, Dec. 18, from 6-10 p.m. at the Argus Bar, 123 E. Main St., just a block off the Capitol Square. The party will take place in the downstairs bar. All area journalists and journalism supporters are invited, and the event is free.
Once again the party will feature a pot-luck meal, so please bring an appetizer, side dish, main dish or dessert to share.
The raffle will take place at approximately 8 p.m. The Packers-Lions tickets will be raffled off separately.
Pre-sale of raffle chances for the Packers-Lions tickets only, at a cost of $15 for one chance and $25 for two chances, will begin Thursday, Dec. 11. Chances will be available in Madison from Mark Pitsch at Capital Newspapers, 1901 Fish Hatchery Road; Joe Radske at Channel 3 studios, 7025 Raymond Road; Lauren Fuhrmann at the Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism offices at the UW-Madison School of Journalism, 5006 Vilas Hall, 821 University Ave.; and Rebecca Wasieleski at UW School of Medicine and Public Health, K4/761, 600 Highland Ave.
The raffle features more than $750 in prizes, including:
* Two 35-yard-line tickets to the Packers-Lions game on Dec. 28, courtesy Aaron Popkey and the Green Bay Packers ($200 value)
* Aerial photograph of Lambeau Field, courtesy Andy Manis ($150 value)
* Two tickets to Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest, courtesy Isthmus ($100 value)
* Food Fight gift certificate, courtesy Wisconsin State Journal ($100 value)
* Two 6-bottle wine packages, courtesy Wisconsin Radio Network ($60 value, each)
* Gift certificate, Next Door Brewing, courtesy Madison SPJ ($50 value)
* Up to 90-minute “behind the scenes” tour of Camp Randall and the Kohl Center for four to eight people, courtesy Justin Doherty and UW Athletics. NOTE: High-school athletes are not eligible to participate in the tour.
* Three, $10 gift certificates to Madison breweries, courtesy Rebecca Wasieleski
* UW Health gift package, courtesy UW Health
* Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism beer stein, courtesy WCIJ
* WISC-TV coffee cup four-pack, courtesy WISC-TV
* 6-pack Beer Baron sampler, courtesy Chris Drosner, “aka” Beer Baron
* Numerous books by Wisconsin journalists and authors, courtesy Wisconsin State Journal
New raffle items may be added prior to the event.
SPJ members and journalists who renew their memberships or join the organization on the night of the party will receive a free drink. Journalists or news organizations that would like to donate raffle items should contact Mark Pitsch, firstname.lastname@example.org.